Follow Me On
Dr. Ahmed Yakub Kalebi, OGW
MBChB (UoN), MMed Path (UoN), FCPath (SA) Anat Path, FCPath (ECSA)
Consultant Pathologist 🔬👌🏽
Medical Doctor, Specialist in General/Anatomical Pathology and Lab Medicine; Madly in love with Pathology, Medicine, Science, Integrity, Innovativeness & Inspirations.
Award-winning Trailblazer & Pioneering Entrepreneur in Pathology & Lab Medicine in Kenya / East Africa, recognized globally.
Founder Entrepreneur & Retired Group Managing Director/CEO/Chief Consultant Pathologist [2009 – April 2021] at Pathologists Lancet Kenya & Lancet Group of Labs – East Africa, the largest & most prominent internationally accredited lab network in Kenya & the region, which started from scratch in 2009 in Nairobi growing to over 80 branches (encompassing Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda) grossing annual revenue of over KShs 2B in Kenya and over 3B in East Africa in the year 2021.
Currently on a prior-planned career break / sabbatical of 3-4 years since May 2021 dedicating time to family as a Husband, Dad-GrandDad, focusing on self-care, pursuing new knowledge, social community projects & seeking self-actualization.
PhD Researcher at the School of Public Health and Family Medicine in the University of Cape Town from January 2022. The PhD Research Proposal was successfully defended in May 2022 under the topic: 𝙄𝙣𝙚𝙦𝙪𝙞𝙩𝙮 𝙞𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝘼𝙫𝙖𝙞𝙡𝙖
Independent Consultant Pathologist since May 2021 under own Specialist Practice License KMPDC registration no. A4889 with own duly incorporated private limited company ‘Ahmed Kalebi Consultancy’.
Presently working on ideation and incubation of the next powerful and impactful innovative entrepreneurial venture to launch after career-break by 2025 aimed at changing the landscape of pathology and laboratory medicine for the betterment of disadvantaged populations in Africa and LMIC.
Honors & Appointments
- Hon. President [2015-2022], International Academy of Pathology – East Africa Division (EADIAP).
- Honorary Lecturer [2014-2021], Department of Human Pathology, University of Nairobi.
- Member of the Board of Directors of various private-for-profit & not-for-profit organizations including Independent Medico-Legal Unit (IMLU), Health Source Clinics & Shining Hope for Communities (SHOFCO).
- Founding Steering Committee Chairman & now Council Member of the College of Pathologists of East, Central & Southern Africa (COPECSA).
- Founder Trustee, HAIBA Foundation in Kibra
- Former Chairman of Madraasatul Falah Kibra Society.
- Treasurer of the Kenya Arabs Friendship Society and Masjid Rahma in Hurlingam Nairobi
- Patron of Gogo Boys FC, a grassroots soccer team from Kibra slums founded & registered with Football Kenya Federation (FKF) in 2014 starting from Sub-County League rising through four levels now playing in FKF National Div 1 under the mantra of #PlayingForChange as part of youth reforms initiative in Kibra.
- Son of a Nubian mother; Husband to my sweetheart, best friend & personal manager (Kamari); Father to 4 lovely tribeless children now maturing as young adults (AminatuZahra & Shafiq) or growing up fast to adulthood (Hamid & Marjan).
- Grandfather to my daughter’s son Ahmad, born June 2020.
- Proud of my roots from Kibra slum in Nairobi & Proudly Kenyan.
- Young Achievers Award from the Association of Pathologists of East, Central and Southern Africa (APECSA) 2006
- Best Research by Pathology Resident at the Federation of Pathology Societies of South Africa (FSASP) 2006
- Top 40 Under 40 Men – Business Daily 2011.
- Pathologists Power List by The Pathologist Magazine in association with the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) featuring top pathologists and lab medicine professionals for three years in a row 2019-2021
- Presidential Award of the Order of the Grand Warrior of Kenya (OGW) 2021
- KMA Meritorious Award from the Kenya Medical Association in 2022